At the beginning of Year 6, a member of the Senior Leadership Team will visit your child’s primary school to give a presentation and an opportunity for questions and answers in a more personalised setting.
During October we hold Open Evenings - dates are detailed below. These are high profile events, which give any member of the community an opportunity to see a showcase of the pupils’ achievements at Cromwell. All departments are open and visitors can wander freely around the college or have a guided tour from one of our pupils. There will be a presentation by the Principal during these evenings.
Throughout the year, we liaise closely with all our partner primary schools to support themed weeks and initiatives across the curriculum.
After Easter, we host a uniform evening where parents/carers and pupils can come and view the Cromwell uniform, try it on, and order in preparation for September. Senior staff are also available throughout the evening to answer any questions.
Also during June, we organise individual appointments with a senior member of staff, for parents/carers and pupils; these last approximately 30 minutes and are there to allow us to get to know your child to ensure they are appropriately placed in tutor groups.
We are aware that many of our pupils have made exceptional progress in specific subject areas at primary school. We have a transition programme in place that ensures we are fully aware of their current achievements and build on these.
Finally, in July pupils have the opportunity to come to Cromwell for two days with all other Year 6 pupils and experience a day with their new year group. Parents/carers and pupils will then return on one of the evenings to meet their tutor as an end to the programme.
YEAR 6 - Thursday 14 October 2021 - 16:00-17:30
For Parents/Carers & Pupils from:
- Glebelands Primary Academy
- Lionel Walden Primary School
- Thomas Eaton Primary Academy
- Benwick Primary School
YEAR 6 - Tuesday 19 October 2021 - 16:00-17:30
For Parents/Carers & Pupils from:
- Kingsfield Primary School
- Manea Community Primary School
- Somersham Primary School
POST 16 & Year 6 - Thursday 21 October 2021 - 16:15-18:15
For Parents/Carers & Pupils from:
- All other Primary Schools
- Post 16 Parents/Carers & Students
Further details will be published in the local press nearer to the event. If you cannot attend the evening event, then individual tours of the college during the school day can be organised, by contacting the office.
In the meantime, you can view the 2020 virtual Open Evening HERE, along with the most recent College Prospectus.
The uniform evening is open to all parents/carers and pupils, and is an opportunity to come and view the Cromwell uniform, try it on for size and find out about how to order. There are also senior members of staff on hand to answer any questions you may have related to uniform or other areas of the transition process.
This is a drop-in event to give parents/carers flexibility and room to leisurely peruse the samples available, and usually only takes families a maximum of 30 minutes.
Further details on times and dates are published to all parents/carers and pupils via a letter sent out after the offer date. If you are unable to attend, we do have uniform samples available in the College Reception that can be tried on at any point throughout normal college opening hours.
We will invite all parents/carers to a meeting at your child's primary school for an appointment of up to 30 minutes with a senior member of staff. Prior to the appointment, you will be sent a pack of significant forms that we would like you to complete and bring with you. This ranges from data protection information to requests for school equipment. During the appointment, we will discuss your child's strengths and talents, as well as any concerns you may have about settling in to specific subject areas so we can support all their needs.
- Our Special Educational Needs and Disability Co-ordinator (SENDCo), Mrs Amor; will be available for appointments with those pupils who need her advice and guidance.
- Year 6 partner primary school offices will hold appointment sheets for all the staff attending; this will vary according to the size of the school.
Please could you liaise with your child's Year 6 teacher or primary school office to sign up for an appointment slot when the appointment times are published.
For pupils that attend other primary schools, we still offer individual appointments, these are held one evening at Cromwell. Parents/carers affected will be contacted directly.
The days are centred around what a day at Cromwell is like. Pupils will attend a variety of lessons, such as English, maths, science, physical education (PE), history, art and music. The exact lessons vary year on year. Pupils will also attend an assembly with their head of year, visit the college library and spend time in their form group meeting and getting to know other pupils and their form tutor.
Pupils also get to experience break and lunchtimes and have time to explore the college, finding their way around before they start in September. We also actively encourage pupils who live outside of Chatteris to use the College buses to and from college to ensure they gain the full experience.
Transition Parental Evening
On the evening of one of the transfer days, we invite all parents/carers into college to meet with their child’s form tutor. The form tutor gives a talk on important information parents/carers need to be aware of and share details of how to contact them. This is also a final opportunity to ask any questions before your child starts in September.
This evening is also the time that pre-ordered school uniform can be collected.
Individual School Events
During the course of the year, we have a transition calendar which provides a record of all the events that take place in our partner primary schools and other schools where Cromwell is their secondary school of choice. Primary schools will take the lead here and request Cromwell staff to support events to aid transition. Previous events have included:
- Science Week - We support the primaries in delivering exciting and engaging science lesson and activities throughout science week and beyond. Examples include; heart dissections, forensic science sessions, static electricity demonstrations and chemistry themed assemblies.
- Careers Convention – primary schools attend Cromwell and pupils meet potential future employers and College and University providers.
- Junior Maths Challenge – confident mathematicians compete in this annual event at Cromwell, with pupils achieving bronze, silver and gold awards.
- Drama productions – pupils are invited during the school day to come and watch the drama rehearsals taking place for the annual summer performance.
- Schools Make Music – an annual event organised by the Rotary Club and Cromwell, which brings together local primary and secondary school pupils to perform in this musical spectacular.
- Lockdown Lessons - our teachers work with local primary schools to deliver lessons to Year 5 pupils via Teams in periods of lockdown during the Covid-19 pandemic, such as below:
If you have any questions or would like to speak with someone about the College or your child's transition from primary to secondary, please feel free to contact the Transitions Lead, Mrs Fulcher, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org